Run for the Community
Built on a dedication to their community, the Thinga-ma-Jogger race was jointly conceived in 2013 by the Manatee Elementary School PTO and school administration as an alternative to traditional school fundraisers and a way of involving the larger Viera/Rockledge community and beyond.
Each Spring, Manatee celebrates National Read Across America Week and Dr. Seuss’ birthday in a BIG way which provided a perfect anchor for the school’s Spring fundraiser. It allowed for the creation of a fun, memorable experience thematically connected to the week’s reading events in school that would be open to the public. All the while promoting a positive message about the importance of reading and child literacy.
Traditionally the culmination of the week’s events, the 2018 Thinga-ma-Jogger will be the first year that the race is used as the kick-off event for a jam-packed Seuss week in school.
From its first year, the race has boasted a field of more than 600 often costumed participants racing, jogging and walking through the streets of Viera surrounding the Manatee school.
A few new things for the 2018 edition of Thinga-ma-Jogger:
- Manatee is proud to be partnering with Running Zone to bring the race to even more people throughout Brevard County and beyond.
- The race will follow a new, loop course this year. See the course here >>
- Children under 5 year of age may participate in a FREE kids fun run with prizes for all participants after the race at the business expo on the Manatee grounds.
- Consider donating a gently-used or new book to our 5K Book Drive, as part of our Manatee Gives Back community outreach initiative. We’ve collected thousands of books over the last four years that have been donated to local school libraries in need.
- If you can’t participate/attend, we offer a “Sleep in for Seuss” option should you still want to support our school
Benefits Manatee PTO
Completely 100% of all race registration proceeds go directly to support the teachers and students of Manatee Elementary and the school’s capital improvement fund. We are incredibly grateful to all of our business sponsors who, through their generous financial and in-kind support from year to year make this race possible.
It is their support that enables us to put on such a large-scale event without transferring the cost on to participants.
The Thinga-ma-Jogger is the premier reading-themed road race in Florida and traditionally one of the most decorated, fan-lined courses anywhere. As a Dr. Seuss-themed event, costumes are encouraged for participants and spectators!